Friday 5 July 2013

Work in Progress

I am making a quilt for a very special nephew, who stands almost 7 feet tall! I dug into my stash and pulled out a bundle of Hawaiian shirt print remnants I bought while on a vacation in 2005. I think each bundle cost about $3.50! And there are a lot more  pieces in each bundle than I realized.
 
 
The majority of the remnants measure approximately 5" x 6"-7". The perfect size to make a basket weave pattern. I auditioned a tan fabric (above), thinking of sand colour, then I tried the teal blue below. I liked the teal blue best!

 
I cut the Hawaiian fabric into 4-1/2" x 6-1/2" rectangles. The sashing pieces are cut 1-1/2" x 6-1/2".
 
Now, I don't know what I was thinking, or not thinking (maybe I was cutting too late in the evening!), because after sewing up a bunch of the blocks and ironing them, I realized they weren't square. I had cut my sashing pieces too narrow, and had to trim a 1/2" off the length of all 165 blocks! Ugghh!!
 
 

 
I am quilting in the ditch between the rows and I'll free-motion quilt the borders.
 
 
Happy quilting!
 
~Kat~

No comments: